Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Demographic Winter

So, I really try to avoid issues or things that could draw up harsh opinions or views, because I want this to be a happy place, but this has been on my mind for a while now.

I often get emails from a group called, "United Families International." I got on their list after signing something - they're a group that works to ensure the family unit and to protect marriage in its traditional sense. Sometimes I get a chance to read the emails and sometimes I don't. I think it's interesting to read what is going on in that fight because so much of it isn't ever mentioned in the news, and when it is, it is often one-sided. I like to hear the other side too.

A few weeks ago I got an email and I just can't stop thinking about it. It discussed how our populations throughout the world are becoming stagnant or even falling, and what the consequences of a population decline would be. In order to "hold steady," each woman needs to have 2.1 children - in essence, enough to replace her and her husband (the .1 comes from factoring infant deaths that sometimes occur, thus requiring a little more than 2 kids on average). And what do they attribute these falling numbers to? Sex before marriage, co-habitation instead of marriage, pursuit of personal wants - which leads to people getting married later (if they do) and less likely to have many children (if any), especially if the woman is older because it's harder to do, the gay/lesbian movement (it is physically impossible for them to conceive children), and the fall in religious observance throughout the world.

Some countries, like Russia, have actually started to pay couples when they have more than 1 child, but in Russia, for instance, the less than $10,000 (equivalent) they are offered must not be a good enough incentive, because it's not working. They're rate is a low 1.17. All through Europe the rates are too low. The US is currently at a 2.1, but they say that's due to all the immigrants who come with (usually) higher birthrates. But the point is, if some of these other economies start to suffer due to lack of children to work, care for and replace those who are dying, we will be affected too, because we are all so intertwined.

Why am I mentioning this? To make myself feel better about already having 3 kids in a world where people stare at me sometimes in the grocery store like I'm crazy?! :) No. Is it because I still want at least one more child?! No. It's because of the last reason for the decline - religious observance. They mentioned that those who are actively religious are more likely to have more children.

We've learned it since we were young and were first exposed to Adam and Eve. The Lord commanded them to multiply, replenish the earth and have dominion over it. (Genesis 1:28) We've heard it many times, but it seems like it is being proven to be true.

(Of course, every one can choose how many they should have - it is a personal decision - but I think it is important to do it prayerfully with the right intentions, without placing personal wants before the good of the family or the will of the Lord.)

So, maybe next time I see someone staring at me, I'll just glare right back! :) (Totally kidding. I'll just smile like always!)

Here's more info if you're interested.
http://www.demographicwinter.com

3 comments:

Queen of the Castle said...

Germany gives out "Kindergeld" when you have children and reside in Germany. Apparently, you don't even have to be a citizen. Each child is worth more. For instance, kid #1 50 DM, kid #2 100 DM, etc. for a total of 150 DM each month if you have two kids. I'm not sure what the exact figures are. There was a family in my host town that had 13 kids and they lived off their kindergeld. Both parents were stay-at-home parents.
Society just doesn't value children like they should. I could go on, but its your blog, I'll rant about it later on mine.

Sara said...

This makes me feel better about having my fourth! I was talking to my younger sister is St. George today and telling her that I feel like I get a lot of crazy looks from people when they see me pregnant and wheeling around my 3 other kids. It's like I have a third head or something.

Nat Lud said...

That is so interesting, Mel! I didn't even think about what would happen if we didn't 'replenish.' I'm glad to have another reason to keep 'multiplying' even though people are discouraging it these days.