Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Closer

During 3 out of 4 years in dental school, our family lived an hour away from a major city. Each day my husband would commute to school with his brother. This was the arrangement we had so I could stay home with our kids. The town we lived in was so small (some of you have been there, but most haven't, so sorry if you already know this), that there was only one grocery store (decent size) and two gas stations. (Actually, if you want to be real specific about it, there were two towns side by side and the grocery store and one of the gas stations were in the other town.) No traffic lights in either town.

Any time I needed to take the kids to the pediatrician or go to a Costco, Target, Michael's, or a mall (or any store really) I had to drive an hour into this major city. Dr. appt. days became our errand days and after an early morning dr. visit I'd drag the kids along to wherever I needed to go since I was actually nearby.

Needless to say, when we moved to our current home in Texas for residency, I was thrilled to know I had so many stores within 15 minutes of my home. I didn't have to do the shopping sprees I once did. I could just go to one or two and then return home. I didn't throw my babies off of their precious schedules and it was much less stressful. I can even go without my kids sometimes because I can wait for Daddy to come home and then leave and return in decent time.

But 15 minutes is still not quite close enough for everything. It's not close enough for a last minute dinner ingredient I forgot to get. If I realize I don't have something I need, I usually end up having to scrap that plan and figure out something else to make (unless a neighbor can save me). And it's not close enough if you realize the pharmacy is about to close and you haven't picked up your prescription yet! (We've raced the clock a few times for that one!) But that all changes this Friday. A new grocery store is opening up and it'll only be 5 minutes down the road! I am thrilled. And even better, it's the chain I prefer to shop at. I know it sounds silly, but I really am excited something will be closer to me.

(I'll be out of town when it opens, but I'll be sure to check it out when I get back!)

6 comments:

Danna Banana said...

Happy dance!!!

I LOVE our consumerist, capitalistic society!!

It makes raising a family sooooo much easier.

I couldn't be happier for you Mel.

Travel safe!!

Sarah said...

That's so nice. I love having things so close- I don't think I could ever live in a small town!

me said...

Yay! you can go shopping right outside your door! That is awesome! The only thing is when they are close I find myself going there so much more. I tell myself, oh just run to the store! You need to be stronger than me! See ya in a few days!

Annie Leavitt said...

is it a "K" roger? : )
i must say, our little creamery down the road has saved me more than a few times.
congrats!

Emily said...

I'm with you on this one. Having a grocery store a little closer will be great! We were pretty excited when we heard that it was finally opening!!!!! Hooray! (See you there...ha,ha.)

Nat Lud said...

Love it! Convenience is a life saver. :)