She had a fun few days. I made some cupcakes for her to take to school since her last day was Thursday. She thought that was great. I remember how it felt to be a summer birthday, so I'm glad she's been able to take cupcakes and celebrate at school the past two years. (Last year the last day of school was her birthday! What a day!) She wanted them all the colors of the rainbow, since her birthday was a rainbow theme, but I finally convinced her that just having three favorite colors would be OK. :)
Since her party was Saturday morning, we spent most of Friday getting ready for her party. We made rainbow crayons (broken crayons melted together in cupcake tins - worked really well) and rainbow jello; got rainbow themed books from the library and worked on a rainbow cake. We even got the Magic Schoolbus video about rainbows!
After playing in our swimming pool and slide combo with the neighbors, she had her requested birthday dinner: pepperoni pizza, blueberry yogurt and corn. :) Plus birthday cake of course. Then we cleaned up and she opened presents. It was so fun to watch her read all her birthday cards all by herself. She seems so grown up to us now.
Saturday morning was the party, bright and early at 10am. It ended up being an all girl party, except for Jacob and Matthew. :) I guess we're getting to that age. We read a rainbow book, looked for rainbow colors with our "rainbow scopes," played "pin the cloud on the rainbow," had a rainbow walk (like a cake walk), and played pass the parcel. :) Then we sang to Emily and ate rainbow cake, rainbow jello and rainbow sherbet.








The kids thought it was great. Emily had a wonderful time, and it was all done by 1pm, and we all (all 5 of us) took a nap! :)

The kids thought it was great. Emily had a wonderful time, and it was all done by 1pm, and we all (all 5 of us) took a nap! :)

12 comments:
AWESOME CAKE!! Lovesit!
Happy Birthday Emily-we love you!!
Mel, you are the coolest mom evah!!
Wow! How did you get the cake like that?
That cake is fabulous! It's so fun to see all the different birthday parties. I'm definitely putting this one in the file! You are so creative!
How in the world did you make that awesome cake. Right now my cakes are really not even close to that standard. :-) Happy Birthday Emily.
I have been waiting for this post because I remembered that Emily's birthday was at the first of June and I have been dying to see what you did for a cake. You did not disappoint, AWESOME!! What a fun birthday, I can't believe how old she is getting I remember the Blue's Clue's party......the good ol days :) Happy Birthday Emily!
Cake -- awesome!!!
Emily's Mommy -- Way awesome!!!
Emily -- Way, Way awesome !!!
P.S. What did you all do you Jacob, the poor little guy. Is that was too much rainbow does to a man???
I just put food coloring in the cake batter. I found the idea online and gave it a go. Separate the cake batter into six bowls and color with gel food coloring. Put the colors into the cake pan one at a time, but directly on top of the previous one. So, you put the red in the middle first, then the orange on top of that, then the yellow, etc... The pressure from the subsequent colors makes the first ones spread out, so you get that effect. You don't need to swirl or mix them in the cake pan.
For the top layer I just put them in the pan reverse rainbow colors to mix it up a bit (purple, blue, green, yellow, orange and red).
Really easy. It just took a little extra time, but it turned out pretty cool.
happy birthday emily! we can tell you had a fabulous day.
mel-hats off on the cake. you out did yourself again my dear. it's beautiful!
I LOVE the cake! why didn't you tell me you could do cakes, I would have bothered youfor Emrie's cakes and our cake when we were sealed!
You did a great job. I can't beleive she is 6, but it looks like she had a great time at her party. Again, you did a wonderful job on the cake-note to self: Melanie makes cute cakes :)
I love her party and she had tons of little friends. She is so cute! Thanks for the really cool idea, that cake is the best, you are such a great cook!
Mel, you make it sound really easy, and maybe it was for you, but that is something i will let someone else tackle. I was talking about the decorating of it too.
That cake is out of control! It is so perfect and so cute. I am always in awe of your cake making skills. I'm glad that Emily had a fun birthday!
Post a Comment