Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I did it!

I figured it was time to learn how to do something new, so last Friday I made some strawberry jam. Talk about feeling all domesticated! :) I read the instructions over a few times and got to work. It wasn't hard; just took a little while. Emily was a great help with Matthew (he just loves to be right there in the kitchen when I am) so I could get it done.

Wash and hull 8 cups of strawberries.
(Don't they look so pretty?)

Measure out the sugar.
(We're not going to think about all that sugar though. I told Billy that if we do end up using this with our food storage, he'll be glad it's loaded with sugar, because it'll be the only sweet thing we'll have!)

Crush berries with a potato masher.

Cook crushed berries with lemon juice, pectin and sugar.

Make a huge mess while filling the jars with the jam. :)

Put jars in pot, make sure they're covered with water, and bring water to rolling boil for 10 minutes.

The finished product! Yum!

6 comments:

me said...

You stole my word! YAY for you!

Homemade jam is the best. I remember making it with Gma, though I think it was raspberry. So good though!

Shelly said...

Yummy!! The kids and I made freezer jam last week and had tons of fun. It's so yummy. They make a special kind of pectin for lower sugar or splenda recipes. I couldn't find it anywhere!! I'm going to look for it in Utah next week.

Anonymous said...

YUM! I'll have to do it one day..... can you help?!?!?!

Annie Leavitt said...

great pictures mel! i'm so glad that it turned out well. i hear you on the sugar- we made ours with the 'no sugar pectin' and used honey. but c'mon, wouldn't you want sugar during a natural disaster? I would!

Sara said...

Good for you Melanie! I love learning something new and domestic like this. But since we're living in PILES of boxes, it's gonna be awhile before it happens again. Enjoy your jam!

The Marx Family said...

Way to go! I have never made jam, but I definitely need to learn, especially since I am living in berry country!