Friday, August 6, 2010

Book


Last week, while brainstorming things to do during our hot summer, I remembered this book. It has lots of ideas. Especially for young kids. Like Matthew. I've realized this summer just how much older Emily and Jacob are compared to Matthew. I have to make sure there is a way to include him in our activities or he is left out. (He can't write or spell like them, he can't draw like them, etc...)

As I was flipping through the book, Emily and Jacob came up and asked me what I was looking at. I told them I was looking for ideas of things to do. Then it hit me. Why not let them pick out what they want to do?! I asked them if they'd like to find some things to do. Boy did they! :) Emily ran and got a piece of paper and a pencil. 

At the end of quiet time, they brought me the book with a laundry list of page numbers - each page with an activity we could do. Wow. That made my job easy. Now we just flip through to find something, make sure we have the materials, and do it.

Here are some of the things we have done:

Made things with marshmallows and toothpicks.

Fingerpaints
(Totally forgot I had them until the kids mentioned they wanted to do it.)

Fruit Loop Towers
(Boy did they love snack that day!)

Made fun lunches

Made their own recipe for dessert one night.

Magic Pudding

We've also made puppets, had a puppet show and sorted buttons in different ways.

I'm letting the kids pick what to do, so we seem to be doing a lot of food ones first. :) I'm just glad we have plenty of ideas to keep us busy these last two weeks before school starts.

Two weeks!

Nothing like having a baby to loose a summer.

1 comment:

suepeterson710 said...

Love the pix of all your adventures. But what is Magic Pudding? Love the Blast from the Past pix too.