Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Almost

I went to a cookie exchange tonight. It was lovely. At first I felt a little awkward. I still feel like I don't know many people, or not very well. But after a while I got chatting with some girls, and then some different girls, and then some more.

I actually felt like I belonged for a little while, and I haven't felt that for 5 months.

Moving has it's advantages and disadvantages. 

As excited as we are for the next step, life after training, moving isn't for sissies. There's so much more involved than just the physically taxing work of actually moving your belongings.

The kids and I are all starting to yearn for some permanence - some place where we can meet people and develop friendships and maybe put down roots.

I know I didn't always feel like I belonged in Houston either (I definitely lived in the "wrong" neighborhood for so many of the "groups" there.) but I miss knowing people and feeling comfortable with them, even if we were just acquaintances. 

But we are meeting some great people. And it's all part of what we are supposed to do, so we will move forward (literally and figuratively) and make the best of our situation.


2 comments:

Shelly said...

Hey!! You're dissing our 'hood?

Hang in there. You're so close and it will have all been worth it!

Aubrey said...

We've been counting down too! If anybody can do this, you can! I'm so proud and happy for you!