Friday, July 27, 2007

Call Schedule

Yesterday was an exciting day for us. Billy got his last call schedule before he starts med school. That's right! He will not be taking call this next year!!!! We are so excited. He's only got tonight and next Thursday, and that's it. We started last year with him being on call 12 days a month, 2-4 times a week depending on the month (the schedule writers could never space them evenly). Every program is different, but when Billy's on call he has to stay overnight at the hospital, so for instance, he leaves for work in the morning, works all day, stays and does whatever comes in that night, and then works all the next day. So the kids go a full 48 hrs. without seeing him. I was miserable in the beginning. Even though our neighborhood seemed really nice, I'd watch the evening news and then be up half the night, afraid someone would break in. :) So, I stopped watching the ten o'clock news!

After the first few months, his call dropped to about 7-8 days a month, which was way better, but still pretty often. I was more used to our neighborhood and our home, so I'd still stay up late, but I started working on projects I couldn't do with the kids or Billy around (I painted the kitchen one week he was on call a lot - just at night once the kids were down! I also used leftover kitchen paint to brighten up our little laundry room during a call night.)


I never sleep well when Billy's gone (even though I'm grateful he's not snoring)! And staying up late has often kept me from getting up early enough to workout before the kids are awake. (Not a super good excuse, but I used it for a while.)

So, it'll just be nice to have him home every night, and weekend too. No more Saturdays with Daddy working all day. No more going to church with the kids by myself because Daddy's at the hospital. No call on Thanksgiving or any other holidays this year! And I'll be sleeping so much better.

1 comment:

Nat Lud said...

Hey, Mel! I love that green! I am so excited you're blogging now. It's a great way to stay updated on the every day goings on in people's lives! (is goings even a word?) Anyway, glad to hear Billy's getting away from the call schedule. What a relief for you as well. I know how wonderful it is to have more time with the hubby. Anyway, take care!