Most of you know that my husband LOVES to play video games. I knew this coming into our marriage, and it didn't really bother me. We had a Super Nintendo growing up and we'd play games on it. My sister was always really good at games like Mario and Zelda. I always preferred the puzzle games (Dr. Mario, Tetris and Yoshi's Cookies) and racing games. But, I didn't realize the extent he would go to play games and keep up with new gaming information. He often checks video games websites for information and even though he has been in school ever since we started dating, he has always found ways to have the latest consoles and equipment to play the new games.
Needless to say, video games are much more a part of my life than I thought they would be as I approach leaving the 20's behind. My husband is slowly sucking me into nerdom, but there are some benefits.

It all started with the GameCube. Billy sold his old Nintendo 64 with games, and saved some money to get the new GameCube when it first came out (back in 2002). Boy was he excited. He made sure to buy a couple games we could play together, and it was fun, but after playing for a little bit, I was done.
Then came the XBox and he got all these boy games that I had no interest in playing, until this one game came out called Dance, Dance, Revolution. He convinced his poor, innocent younger sisters to go along and chip in money to get it, 'cause you had to get the game and two dance pads so two people could play together. They got this around the time I had Jacob (August 2005). I was dubious at first, but it ended up being a lot of fun. I got hooked. Sometimes, while Billy was at school, Emily and I would play it (I'd only pretend to plug her dance pad in), and Jacob would watch us from his bouncer. It was fun.But, the XBox 360 was coming out soon (2006), and he had to have it, so he sold his XBox and some games to raise money for the new 360. That meant no more DDR. I was so sad. The DDR was not only fun, but it made you move and stretch and dance around; a fun-filled aerobic workout!

With the new XBox 360 came new boy games that I had no interest in. But, finally this year, we got two games that are fun. The new DDR Universe, which has given us a workout many times, and the infamous Guitar Hero II. Holy Cow!! Such a fun game! I have been know to rock out on that guitar many a night with Billy and alone when he's on call!
So, why do I like these video games so much? 'Cause sometimes you want to do something with your husband(or visiting family and friends), that doesn't involve watching the TV or a movie. With kids sleeping, we can't just leave and go somewhere whenever we want at night, and these games give us a chance to interact and have fun together at home. (Sometimes we can't wait to put the kids to bed so we can get a game out!) And who doesn't like good music!?
Billy still plays the boy games a lot, but now we play a lot together too. And we have fun. It's nice to have something we can do together - even if it is just video games.
(And don't worry, he's still scheming a way to get a Wii!)
3 comments:
oh, that was hilarious mel. i still am laughing. it is so true, billy is "slowly sucking you into nerdome" :) wish we could be there to play too!
That is so fun! I just played Guitar Hero II for the first time today. I really sucked but it was a blast. I want to play some more. What a fun way to spend time together. :)
DDR and Guitar Hero are so fun- and can be a great workout! My sister has both of them and she brings them occasionally to our family parties- always a fun time!
Post a Comment