It is so easy to forget how blessed we are until something happens. Thursday started like any other day. I was babysitting, but wasn't feeling too bad that morning. I actually got my bum in gear pretty early and even got a crock pot dinner going before 11am! (So good for me right now!) I got the kids fed and dressed and we took Emily to school. (She likes to walk in all by herself now 'cause she's a big girl!)
Brought the other two kids home and we all laid down for nap time. I woke up around 2 pm and the house felt unusually warm and stuffy. The thermostat said it was 82 degrees. A little higher than the 78 we keep it at, but sometimes on really hot, humid days it struggles in the afternoon. I was a little wary though, 'cause it wasn't the hottest day of the year year.
Later we went to pick up Emily and headed to the grocery store to get some food. We got home around 4:30. As I opened the door to the house, I noticed there was no change in temp. between the garage and the house! Oh no! I quickly turned on every fan we owned and called an A/C service company. (All of the sudden my hot, crock pot dinner didn't sound so tasty!) ;)
Long story short, my friend whom I babysit for offered her home to us that night so we could actually get some sleep. (She came to pick up her daughter and found us all sweating as we ate our dinners. It felt so much like the mission!)
We were prepared for the worst (4 houses on our street had to completely replace their A/C systems this summer), but it was only a part that needed to be replaced and it cost less than we thought it might be.
So, 24 hours later, we were back in our home and it was cool and comfortable again. In retrospect, it was a short little episode in our crazy life, but it made us stop and be grateful again for what we have. It is so easy to focus on what we don't have sometimes. We are very blessed.
2 comments:
wow- isn't that so true. ungrateful is something i am almost everyday. good thing it was only a small repair. :)
I'm just impressed that you made dinner and that you went to the grocery store! Those are both HUGE when you are morning sick!
I'm glad that you got your air up and running again. That must have been miserable for the time you had to spend with it broken.
Post a Comment