
I feel like I am beginning to understand why anyone I have ever met from Texas was so happy to be from Texas. Texans have the most state pride I have ever seen! I remember seeing Texas flags (especially the full size ones) in dorm rooms at BYU and wondering why these people would have their state flag on display. I mean, I liked growing up in Washington, but I didn't have a Washington flag to remind everyone, or myself, of where I was from. So often it seemed as though those Texans were so in love with their state that they were willing to separate from the rest of the country 'cause they thought their state was so big and great.
Did you know that in school the kids actually have a pledge they do just for the Texas flag? And I know that my 4 year-old isn't the most reliable of sources, but we get the feeling from her that they practice the Texas pledge more than the (American) Pledge of Allegiance.
And, after a week of study, Emily can tell you the state bird (mockingbird), the state flower (bluebonnets) and the state tree (pecan tree). She has also learned a song. Not the official state song, but still . . .
I have a state that I call home,
And Texas is it's name - o
T-E-X-A-S
T-E-X-A-S
T-E-X-A-S
And Texas is it's name - o.
(To the tune of "BINGO" if you couldn't guess it!)
Oh my goodness! I wonder how indoctrinated she'll get during the next 4 years we have here. (Jacob too, will get a little bit of schooling here.) I wonder how distraught our kids will be when they realize we won't live in Texas forever! :)
5 comments:
that is hillarious! They brain wash their kids! HA HA
I guess Washington needs to catch up with the songs and pledges. Can you imagine a song that spells out W-A-S-H-I-N-G-T-O-N! That song would last forever!
HA HA HA
I lived in Texas for a couple of years when I was about Emily's age it didn't scar me for life :) I did love doing all of my state projects on it though when I was in school.
It's all making sense now why everyone from Texas is so proud of their state! That is so funny- I think Emily will be okay, though- hopefully she won't be too brainwashed!
ah, so that's where the brainwashing starts. i knew it. don't worry, your kids will be fine.
I still remember the Pee-Wee Herman movie when they sing "The Stars at Night, are big and bright (clap, clap, clap) deep in the heart of Texas! Utah definitely needs some pride songs.
Post a Comment