Saturday, November 1, 2008

Socialism

(This is my one and only political soapbox before the election.) :)

Socialism. I don't like it. There is nothing good about it. Spreading the wealth. Socialized health care. They all sound like great ideas. They seem to be good. Making sure everyone gets health care would be wonderful. Making sure everyone has enough money would be wonderful.

They have been tried before. They have failed before. (Look at Europe and Russia.)

I grew up witnessing the effects of socialized health care on my grandparents and aunt who live in England. They would wait months and months for simple things to be taken care of. There were problems and complications in the treatments when they finally reached the top of the waiting list to receive them. My poor mother wished many times she could bring them over to the US so they could be taken care of properly and in a timely manner.

The US is not perfect. Even as the most blessed, prosperous country, the US could improve. These are two things that will not help the US get better. It will make things worse.

The following is a quote from Ezra T. Benson, who was Secretary of Agriculture to Pres. Dwight D. Eisenhower.

I have personally witnessed the heart-rending results of the loss of freedom. I have talked face to face with the godless communist leaders. It may surprise you to learn that I was host to Mr. Khrushchev, for a half day when he visited the United States. Not that I’m proud of it. I opposed his coming then and I still feel it was a mistake to welcome this atheistic murderer as a state visitor, but according to President Eisenhower, Khrushchev had expressed a desire to learn something of American agriculture, and after seeing Russian agriculture I can understand why.

As we talked face to face, he indicated that my grandchildren would live under communism. After assuring him that I expected to do all in my power to assure that his and all other grandchildren will live under freedom, he arrogantly declared in substance, “You Americans are so gullible. No, you won’t accept communism outright, but we’ll keep feeding you small doses of socialism, until you’ll finally wake up and find you already have communism. We won’t have to fight you. We’ll so weaken your economy, until you fall like over ripe fruit into our hands.”

7 comments:

lyn said...

I'm glad that Benson, not Khrushchev, was later the prophet... Khrushchev could speculate but not prophesy.

Socialized medicine would be a hard pill to swallow.... but thankfully neither candidate is promoting it. (Check out their websites ... it gives the low down on their plans)

It is a slippery slope, though. The more uninsured, and the more people on Medicaid/WIC/public assistance, the more the government sees the need to change something big. I guess it goes back to the traditional counsel we've been given to only rely on the government as a last resort.

Bill said...

You can say whatever you want in a website, and spin it a million different ways, but I think it is pretty obvious that a certain candidate in this election and his party are making a serious push towards socialized medicine.

Annie Leavitt said...

i ran past a sign yesterday, "Say NO to socialism; Don't vote Obama"

I did a little fist pump. Obama is such a smooth talker, he even has me believe his stuff. and then i told ty, he tells everyone exactly what they want to hear. change with no sacrifice, money without working, tax breaks for everyone (Except your boss of course who is hiring you). he reminds me of korihor- all smooth talk just to get you into his realm. and really, when has any president been able to CHANGE anything dramatically right away? impossible, i say.

Queen of the Castle said...

Has anybody seen the PBS documentary, "Sick Around the World"? I really enjoyed it. I thought it was interesting to see how other countries deal with health care, and England is one of the countries they look at. Netflicks has it on instant play.

Melanie said...

http://www.american.com/archive/2008/october-10-08/obamas-plan-to-end-private-health-insurance

Sarah said...

I couldn't agree with you more and I am sick about what is going to happen when Obama is elected (Yes, I've lost hope). I guess we can hope for a Republican senate that will at least make his agenda a little harder to accomplish.

Loni said...

I don't know about you, but I don't want to fulfill the dreams of Khrushchev, a horrible, cruel, communist...