Thursday, February 19, 2009

Yum!

So, I have all these ideas of things I'm sure you're dying to read about my family and me because our lives are so extremely interesting, but at the moment I just don't feel like connecting the camera to the computer and uploading pictures and sorting out my random thoughts because I just don't have much time.

In the mean time, here's a recipe Billy and I really like. We had it again last night. The kids really go for it sometimes, but other times not so much. It's so good (and healthy) though! I just keep making it.

Spaghetti Squash with Red Sauce

Ingredients:

  • 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 4 pounds)
  • 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
  • 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
  • 1 cup diced green pepper
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrot
  • 1/4 cup diced red onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
  • Grated Parmesan cheese, optional

Directions:

Cut squash in half lengthwise; discard seeds. Place squash, cut side down, on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 14-16 minutes or until tender.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the tomatoes, mushrooms, green pepper, carrot, onion, garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper in oil for 6-8 minutes or until tender. Add tomato sauce; heat through.
When squash is cool enough to handle, use a fork to separate strands. Place squash on a serving platter; top with sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings.

Note: To save time, sometimes I'll just take a plain tomato and basil spaghetti sauce from the store and add veggies to it. I also cook some chicken breasts in the oven while everything else is cooking so we have a little bit of protein in our meal.

I know what you're thinking! Squash?! What?! Seriously, it is so much lighter than pasta and so easy to cook it. I pull the half out of the microwave, and while holding it in my gloved hand I just run my fork over it and the strands come out so easy! And our grocery store seems to have it year-round, over in produce by all the other zucchini and squash varieties!

Have fun!

1 comment:

me said...

I might have to give that a try. Both Aaron and I like spaghetti and Jared being Jared...Well sometimes he will try it.
I made a good dinner last night though and if it sounds good to you I will give you the recipe.

Porcupine Meatballs (the balls have rice in them),served over rice with green beans and Italian rice. It was easy and good!