Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Rhyming Whyming

My kids love to make word rhymes. If they find a rhyme that isn't a real word, they think it's really funny.

A couple weeks ago, Daddy asked Jacob to clean up the play kitchen and Jacob said, "kitchen" and then made up a rhyme word by putting a "b" in front of "itchen." Billy and I completely ignored that one, though we wanted to laugh. (Can't encourage him.) :)

Then last week we were walking around the grocery store, talking about how busy it was. Emily repeated the word "busy" and then made a rhyme by putting an "sh" sound in front of "usy" (sounds like izzy). Lovely. I hope no one heard that one. Knowing my luck though, someone did. :)

5 comments:

Queen of the Castle said...

When Bailey was around 18 months he couldn't say 'r's and any hard sound on the end of words came out as a "k" sound. You can guess what frog sounded like... Did I mention that he really likes animals? That was an interesting experience.

Cherise said...

It's so funny, since our kids are pretty much the same ages, I'm seeing some of the same trends in our households - my favorite - "uck" words, truck, muck, duck... and "it" words, pit, mit, fit, etc. ... I was volunteering in Carrie's class and her teacher was teaching word families, and she told me that they completely avoid those word families for that same reason. When one of those words inadvertently come out I always try not to make too big of a deal, but politely inform them that it's not a very nice word and we shouldn't say it.

The Marx Family said...

You are more mature than me, I would have had to run in the other room to keep from rolling on the floor laughing!

Sam and Bria said...

Korbin did the same thing with kitchen and the letter "b" while he was in a ryhming phase. Although he asked it in the question: Mom, are you in the kitchen b-ing. I know I shouldn't have laughed but it took my by surprise and I couldn't help it. He kept repeating it for a few more times before he finally moved on.

Annie Leavitt said...

what is it with your kids and swearing? i've never looked at a cracker the same since emily was 1! hahaha