Billy has been saying I need to put more reality into the blog. Not that what I put is fake or made up. It's not. But I'll admit it, I don't usually include the stories where I'm so frustrated with my kids that I want to scream; when my house is an absolute pigsty I'm afraid for anyone who might come to the door; when I wonder why I thought having three kids was a good idea. I mean, really who wants to read that? And do I really want to remember it?!
This morning I woke up to a messy house. Not horrible, but we had a friend over for dinner Sunday night and didn't do our usual pick up when the kids went to bed. I immediately started a load of laundry and got to work on dishes and the floor and everything dirty that seemed to be staring me in the face.
Jacob woke up on the wrong side of the bed and everything made him whine or fuss or just cry. And I'm talking super silly things in my opinion. No milk in his cup at breakfast - cry. (Did he ever think to ask for some?!) My asking him to shut the bathroom door before Matthew crawls in - cry. My asking him to pick up a couple toys he played with during the night instead of sleeping - cry, fuss, whine. I was trying my hardest to be patient, but the longer it went on, the more difficult that became.
Around 8:45 am I knelt down to pick up our fridge's magnet letters that ALWAYS end up on the floor as opposed to the fridge, and I saw a couple ants crawling along. I quickly got them and suddenly realized there was dirt/crumbs on the floor in my pantry. How had I missed that?! As I start to move a couple things to get it cleaned up, I was face to face with a container of dextrose Billy bought a while ago, but never really used (another story for another day), and the dextrose had weevils. Then I looked at the dextrin he had also bought and barely used; more weevils. Then I looked at the flour sitting next to it, thinking, "I didn't see anything last night when I used it, but I'll look anyway." and what do you know, more weevils! Then I looked at the floor again. The little specks of dirt were dead weevils!
It's now noon. I spent the morning pulling everything out; even the cans (because there were some weevils crawling on the outside of them) and wiping the whole pantry down. Jacob could sense my distraction, and that coupled with his not sleeping well last night, made for a not so fun combo of time outs and (I'll admit it) threats to clean up his mess or I'd throw his stuff away. Matthew has been mostly ignored too, because I wanted these little buggars gone, so he's extra fussy.
It isn't all doom and gloom though. The weevil attack of 2007 (yes, there was one) was even worse. I bought lots of "air tight" containers after that, and while not all of them worked, some did, so it was an improvement. I still have to replace a lot though: flour, sugar, corn starch, corn meal, dried milk, rice, bisquick - and all of these were in "air tight" containers. :) Oh well. At least I didn't loose the cake and brownie mixes and crackers like last time. I moved those after the 2007 clean up. I guess I'm learning.
Did my kitchen floor get cleaned? No. Did I vacuum? No. Did I clean the bathrooms? No. Did we go to park group? No. (But I wasn't sure if we would or not just because it was so far away today.) The laundry is clean, but just sitting in a big heap on the couch. The boys are going down for quiet time and I want to too. I guess I'll see what happens.
12 comments:
I really hope your day gets better!!
My reality - I haven't vacuumed in weeks (possibly even a month) and all our floors are really dirty and I have baskets of clothing everywhere... That's just the laundry - there's lots more clothing that needs to be sorted and donated or put in storage, the list is endless and my home is a mess! And I procrastinated it all and took the kids to the park, at least you did something about your mess! I hope no one visits us this week!
Well, Billy....If that's not reality, I don't know what is. For me, it's been the ant infestation. Although, I think weevils are worse. They creep me out.
Keep your chin up. Just think, you now have the cleanest pantry in the neighborhood. If you don't want to look at all the other stuff, just grab a dish of ice cream, sit in a chair in front of your pantry (door open, of course) and revel in how accomplished you are.
oh girl......
reality it is..... my baseboards are so dusty, how could I let them get that way, toilets need cleaned, dishes need to be unloaded (how hard could that be?), my room is so messy, Emrie has 18 million pairs of shoes all over the house, yard needs mowed, garage needs to be cleaned out so I can park in there!
So we all have our moments. Oh yea don't forget that I'm 33 weeks pregnant and EVERYONE, I mean everyone I cross paths with, get on my nerves, even my sweet little family! Hang in there!
So sorry Melanie. You're not alone with unfinished or unstarted housework.
I usually feel the opposite--like I give way too much real life info on my blog! Sorry today was the pits. Those days are not fun at all! Brea has the flu so I've been doing poo/barf duty! Gotta love being a stay-at-home mom!
It must be that time of year. Dad found ants just inside the front door Saturday and we went through the coat closet right there. Finally chucked out 100# of sugar that was marked 1976 coz you could see carpet beetles or something had been through it. Ruggy.
We got that before we got YOU!
That's more like it! HA HA
Jared has been doing meltdowns over the silliest things lately too. LOVELY!
Sorry about the bugs though. That really sucks.
Hope you were able to get something accomplished or even take a nap while the boys were down.
Gaaah!!! I HATE creepy crawlies!!! I always imagine feeling them in my hair for weeks after.
Hugs to Jacob for all his weepies today.
I just dusted my blinds for the first time in three years. Not a pretty sight.
My carpets are atrocious. They are also pock-marked with ground-in waxy stuff from those yummy Baby-Bel cheeses from costco.
Good luck tomorrow!
ugh, i'm still creeped out from talking to you about it yesterday!
but i must admit, it's nice to know you aren't perfect all the time. because you always seem to have it together, and i mean, togetha.
haha.
"the weevil attack of 2007" made me laugh, a lot. : )
I think my reality is too scary to even mention at times. Suffice it to say, if I did it might possibly make you feel better :-). But thank you for making me feel a little better about my "world". Keep your chin, and try to focus on the things that don't make you cringe or stress. Like how much your kids love the beautiful cakes you make!
Seriously sounds like most of my days, minus the weevils! I agree though, I usually don't blog about it because I guess I don't really want to remember the bad stuff! I'm sorry you had such a bad day.
I love the reality of it, its true we all of bad days and we should document them our kids will have bad days too I guess. Sorry about the weevil, it makes my head itch just reading it. Hope things are better for the rest of the week.
Post a Comment