Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Another Movie


I know most of you won't care about this, but I think some might be interested. If anything, I'm typing this out and sending it across the internet because I think my husband is tired of me talking to him about it. Poor guy.

I watched another movie that I just can't stop thinking about. (See here for the first one.) "Little Dorrit." It's a lesser-known book by Charles Dickens. Masterpiece Theater showed it a while back, but I missed it and they had it available to watch on the PBS website, so Friday night when Billy was on call (again) I settled down on the folding chair in front of our little computer screen with an almost completed Christmas stocking in hand and started the 8-hour movie.

I won't tell you what happens, but I will say there is a little bit of everything in it.

What I really thought was interesting too was to hear the tidbits about Charles Dickens life and how this particular novel really explored some things he lived through and had to deal with before he became a popular writer with some money in his pocket. He tried to use his stories to really expose the injustices of society and show how things truly were.

Andrew Davies (the screenplay writer for the Collin Firth version of "Pride and Prejudice" and the 2006 "Sense and Sensibility") wrote the screenplay for this movie too.

Now I have another book on my "to read" list.

2 comments:

suepeterson710 said...

Is the guy in the background Mr. Darcy? It sure looks like him but it's hard to tell for sure.
Also, just got a BBC catalog and guess what's in it? This! Only $42!

Unknown said...

I saw this on Master Piece Theatre on PBS and loved it!! VERY good story.