Tuesday, February 9, 2010

The British Are Coming


Every night at dinner, every person, even Matthew, has the chance to talk about their day. (The kids love it.) After they tell us what they did, Billy will always ask them what they learned and who they helped.

Tonight at dinner, Emily was telling us how she had learned about George Washington at school. She told us she had made a list with five facts about him. We asked if she remembered some. This is what she said:

Emily: He was the first president of the earth.

Me: What?

Emily: He was the first president of the earth.

Me: Oh, you mean America. He was the first president of the United States.

Emily: Oh, yeah. He was a great leader.

(Daddy and I agreed.)

Emily: He was a good general in the war and tricked the British and won.

(Daddy and I chuckled.)

Daddy: Wow. That's right. Did you know that you're related to someone who is British?

Emily: What?! (laughing nervously)

Daddy: Yeah, someone in your family is British.

Emily: But the British are bad!


**Don't worry Mom, we cleared things up.**

4 comments:

suepeterson710 said...

What are they teaching Emily??? Did you tell her it was Curly Grandma???
I see I'll have to set her straight on a few things!

Melanie said...

Hahahaha! Mom, they weren't exactly great when we were fighting in the Revolutionary War. :) Don't worry. We told her that was a long time ago and now we like the British.

me said...

HA HA! The British are bad!
Mom's doomed! She has lost all the respect she once had.

Serenity Rachel said...

I love your dinner tradition of asking what they learned and who they helped. Just imagine if everyone in the world made sure they learned something new and helped someone everyday?