Monday, March 29, 2010

How the Cookie Crumbles, Part I


I LOVE chocolate chip cookies and chocolate chip cookie dough when I'm pregnant.

I have a fabulous chocolate chip oatmeal cookie recipe.

I do not have a fabulous chocolate chip cookie recipe.

I decided I needed to find one.

I talked with a friend. I looked up a ton of recipes online. I compared recipes to the old stand-by I grew up using, the Toll House Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe.

It was interesting to see how similar all the recipes I read really were.

I decided I'd have to do a side by side comparison of some.

I picked two recipes - recipe A and recipe B. Both were similar, but had some pretty big differences.

Both came from people who know what they're talking about when it comes to baking.

Both used bread flour, instead of all-purpose flour.

Both needed to be chilled before baking.

One of them, recipe A, had melted butter and a little milk.

The other, recipe B, had pastry flour as well as bread flour, and called for an entire pound of bittersweet chocolate (that's 60% cocoa - darker than semi-sweet).

I went to work.

3 comments:

Annie Leavitt said...

CLIFFHANGER!!!!!!


i vant to know. i vant to know. tell me everyting!!!

me said...

Still waiting for judgement day!

Ellice said...

okay... have you decided yet?? Which one is the winner???