Tuesday, March 30, 2010

How The Cookie Crumbles, Part II

In an effort to make this a true experiment, I set up some controls. :)

All ingredients for both recipes came from the same brands/packages. Since Recipe B called for bittersweet chocolate, I decided to use bittersweet chocolate in Recipe A too, so we could better compare the taste of the actual cookie.


I bought an ice cream scoop to scoop the dough, so I wouldn't worry about some cookies being too small or too big and cooking differently. They were all the same size.

And, we waited until both types of cookies had cooled a bit before trying them, so we could better compare. (Because, of course, the second recipe to be cooked would taste better if it was warm, right out of the oven. The other would have cooled for at least 30 minutes by then.)

I followed the recipes to a T, even using parchment paper (as recommended) on my cookie sheets, though I don't usually do that. (Boy, did they slide right off!) I did have to adjust cooking times on both recipes just because my oven runs warm, but I figured that was OK, because the point was to compare the taste of a good cookie, not an overcooked cookie.

Here's Recipe A after combining all ingredients:




Here's Recipe B after combining all ingredients:


For the first part of the experiment, the chill time wasn't very long. Recipe A was in the fridge for 2.5 hours and B was in the fridge for 2 hours. (Recipe A called for melted butter, so I made that recipe first to give it a little more time to set up.) It was getting late and Billy (and the kids) wanted cookies that night, so after a couple hours I decided to cook up some cookies.

3 comments:

me said...

And here we are still hanging...

Ellice said...

We still don't have a winner..... ??????

Shelly said...

Mel...I love you!!! But I must say....You are nesting like crazy....but, please continue...I'm enjoying it, and I'm sure the kids and Billy are, too. :)