Tuesday, July 26, 2011
Pioneers
I had Pioneers on my brain this weekend.
Pioneer Day was Sunday.
I thought about the Pioneers as I prepared meals, taking things of out my cold fridge and freezer. Yummy things like strawberries, cheese and ice cream. I'm pretty sure they didn't have much of that while they walked across the plains.
They didn't have clean clothes waiting to be folded in the dryer. Or hot water for showers before church.
When they left their families and friends, they didn't have phones or Skype to help them keep contact.
Or air-conditioned cars to take them wherever they wanted to go...I could go on and on.
Then I thought about what they did have. Faith. Lots of it. So much faith that they were willing to become the Mormon Pioneers who walked from Nauvoo, Illinois all the way to the Salt Lake Valley in Utah.
Can you imagine doing that? In snowstorms? In rainstorms? Up and over mountains? All that way? With your kids?!
And I wanted my kids to understand that. To get a glimpse at what that really meant.
After dinner on Sunday, we watched some videos we have about the Pioneers with the kids, depicting their trials and hardships as they traveled so far. Billy and I were moved to tears.
How blessed we are to have the Pioneers as part of our history.

1 comment:
I remember we'd always think about them when we'd be complaining about the long car ride to Provo and Cedar City and how we really had it pretty darn good, even if the car didn't have ac.
Post a Comment