These two are on a Wiggles kick right now. :)
It's Friday! I'm so looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow. I've been getting up at 5am to workout before the kids get up at 6:30am and I'm ready to sleep in a bit.
----------------
I've been thinking about apples like crazy lately. I always do once September hits. Why is that? I used to think everyone else did too, but now I'm not so sure. The more people I mention it to, the more I think I'm just crazy. Maybe it's because I grew up starting school in September and apples are so often associated with school. Maybe it's just because I grew up in Washington State. I don't know, but for me, apples are the epitome of Fall. Once September is here, whether it's hot or not, I want apples. Apple crisp, apple pie, apple strudel, apple bread, apple anything. Do you? I can guarantee I'd be baking something with apples right now if I wasn't so worried about warming up my house and making our poor AC unit work even harder...
By the way, do you have a fantastic apple-y recipe I don't know about?! :) Would you be willing to share it?
----------------
Matthew's current favorite scripture story. We've read it everyday for at least 2 weeks now. (He doesn't like the darkness and tells me Daddy and I have to help him through it.) Before that it was this one. (I just found these videos online. How cool is that?!)
---------------
Looking at getting the windshield replaced on my van. I've had a crack in it for far too long. It's exciting to think about it being crack-free. I hope I can convince Billy it's time to do it...
---------------
Been trying to find some new shoes for church. Brown ones. Moderate heel. Good price. Can chase the kids in them if need be. And that don't look like dancing girls' shoes to put it mildly. (Really? What is up with shoes lately?) I asked a friend on Sunday where she bought her shoes, 'cause they were just the type I was looking for. She said she bought them 5 years ago. I guess I'm 5 years behind the times. What else is new?
---------------
Some favorite quotes from my church lesson last week:
“Desires dictate our priorities, priorities shape our choices, and choices determine our actions. The desires we act on determine our changing, our achieving, and our becoming.” (Dallin H. Oaks, Ensign, May 2011, p. 42)
“Therefore, what we insistently desire, over time, is what we will eventually become and what we will receive in eternity.” (Neal A. Maxwell, According to the Desire of [Our] Hearts, GC, Oct. 1996)
Desire+Labor+Faith= blessings
What do you desire? Are you truly working for the things you desire most? I think I'm often distracted by lesser important desires, like replacing my windshield or finding new church shoes. In the end though, what is really important to me? Am I working toward it? Does it have the priority it should have in my life?
Just something I've been thinking about lately.
Happy Friday To You!
2 comments:
Melanie,
After living in New England, I think apples every fall also. I always make lots of homemade applesauce - I like mine a little chunky. And I walk around HEB smelling the apples. It's not quite the same as somewhere that actually grows apples, but it makes it feel like fall to me.
And 5 am to work out? crazy woman.
Love the post... by the way... I think of apples every fall too :). I love the smell of apples baking and apple cider... always makes me think of home in the fall :)
Post a Comment