Tuesday, January 1, 2013

2012

It is hard to sit down and have a chance to think when you have four children running around the house, but I'm trying anyway. :)

2012 is gone. 2012 was a special year for us. Way back at the end of January 2006, on Match Day, when we learned we'd be heading to Houston for Billy's residency, 2012 became a special year. It became the year Billy would graduate. The year he'd be done.

Almost everyone seemed to think we were crazy. I remember. People would shake their heads in unbelief and say, "Six more years, huh?! Wow."

For the next 6 years, all through residency, whenever Billy's schedule seemed too intense, the pay too small, the extended family too far away, whatever it was, we'd tell ourselves that we could hold on until 2012. Just wait until 2012.

And we did. We held on until 2012.

And 2012 was a great, wonderful, busy, hard and crazy year.

And now 2012 is over.

As we look ahead to 2013, we are excited. Again, Billy will complete more training as he finishes his craniofacial fellowship. And then we'll move again and he'll start another fellowship in head and neck cancer. As we enjoy the second half of our West Virginia adventure, and we prepare to head off and enjoy an adventure in Michigan (where Jacob will be baptized!), we feel blessed. Never would I have thought our lives would go this way, but we feel lucky to have the experiences we do, to meet the people we have, and to see the places we've seen.

There's got to be a reason things are working out this way. One day I hope we will know why.

Until then we're going to enjoy the ride.

Welcome 2013. We can't wait to see what you bring.


1 comment:

Aubrey said...

Michigan!?!? That's crazy. So much for Portland? I had a roommate from Ann Arbor and she loved growing up there. You'll have to stop by all the locomotive and car museums it has to offer. My kids would love those. :) You seem to be adjusting so well to WV I hope you're enjoying yourselves. Miss you guys!p.s. this is kinda on the down low with friends from Houston, but Nate has been offered a job here in Houston as a Craniofacial pain specialist. If the numbers work out, we'll probably be taking the offer. :) Looking back it seems that God's hand has been guiding us all along, I'm sure you'll look back and say the same.