Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Lightbulb Moment

We have been here almost a month already. I have a feeling this fellowship will be even faster than the last. I'm OK with that. :)

I had a lightbulb moment yesterday. You see, Billy's doing some major surgeries in these fellowships of his. Last year, in addition to repairing cleft lips and palates (which is tricky), he was doing lots of "cranie babies," little ones who needed help because they're skulls weren't growing right. They'd have to go in there and fix these baby skulls. It was intense.

This year it's all about cancer in the head and neck area. (Not on kids, just adults.) He goes in and cuts the cancer out, then he goes and gets what he needs from their leg to graft it into the space where the cancer was. Part of that includes using a microscope to sew the tiny blood vessels together so the new piece being grafted in has a blood supply. And then, you've got to put everything back together and sew it all up and make it look as nice as you can because its on their neck, and/or their face, and they will see it all. the. time.

Billy's first big cancer case was last week. They rolled the patient back to the OR at 8 am, and Billy finally finished the surgery around 10 pm, getting home just before 11. (He said it took him about 30 minutes just to dictate the case!) Yesterday was an even longer case. He didn't end up coming home to sleep because it was 3 am when he could finally leave. He slept 3 hours at the hospital and then got up at 6 am for another case today. 

I hear about these cases as they come. As he studies his textbooks and watches videos. I see him wanting to learn everything he can beforehand, wanting things to go smoothly in the OR.

When surgery day comes, it's in the back of my mind all day long. I hope he's remembering everything he needs to. I hope the patient is doing ok with the sedative and meds and trauma happening to their body. I've offered prayers on the behalf of both Billy and the patient more than once.

Last Wednesday, when something seemed not right with his patient, he called me on the phone and said, " Pray I can get this fixed and she'll be ok." About two hours later he called:

"Well, if you prayed your prayers worked because the graft seems to be doing just fine after all."

"Good, because I did."

"You did?!"

"Yeah, I knew you both needed some help. And you asked me to."

And that's what got me thinking. I don't know these patients at all. I hear a little about them from Billy; the kind of surgery they need and that's about it. Yet, his desire to help them by performing well, gives me the desire to pray for both him and the patient. They don't know I am, but I am. 

It makes me wonder about other doctors. I wonder how many of them pray for their hands to be guided. And I wonder how many of their spouses pray too. Like I do.

It's a nice feeling to think that the next time some one we know and love needs surgery or special care, there's a good chance people we don't know may be offering their silent prayers as well. 

I like that. 

1 comment:

Annie Leavitt said...

I really enjoyed reading this Mel. It is humbling to know how hard these doctors work and to add in their prayers and from family is amazing.

I prayed for him last week too when you told me how long it was going to be : )