Saturday, October 6, 2007

Getting Ready for Halloween

So, I got home from a Dr. appointment Tuesday morning, and asked the kids what we should do, as Emily didn't have school that day. Billy was getting ready to leave for school, but he overheard and told me we should go get some Halloween decorations 'cause it is already October. I just ignored him.

He came out into the living room where I was getting the kids dressed and said it again. I just looked at him and said, "We've got some." He answered, "Not really." Then I said, "We really shouldn't get any. We can't afford it." (I've been really trying to cut back even more since med school = less money for us to live on for 3 years, and we're trying to figure out ways to visit family.) He was right though, our three little straw pumpkins, a scarecrow hanging and a pumpkin-scented candle didn't really do the holiday justice. :)

Long story short, he said that we didn't have to "live like paupers for 5 more years" :) and that he wanted to decorate so the kids would really grasp the holiday coming and be excited about it. Well, once he mentioned the kids, I was much more willing to go along with his plan, so the kids and I ate an early lunch and then jumped in the van and headed for Garden Ridge. I don't know if you guys have heard of it, but it's like a mini Costco, with only home decorations. I love that place. Of course, lots of Christmas stuff was already out, but that meant that the Halloween stuff was on sale! Score!

Then we stopped by Hobby Lobby on the way home. This store is like Michael's, but with a lot more home decorating stuff. Again, they were pretty full with Christmas stuff, and the Halloween stuff was discounted at 50%! Love it! The kids had a great time at both stores looking at everything and picking out what we could use to decorate the house. We had a lot of fun. It's amazing how much more they both understand compared to last year.

So, we went home and took naps. After nap time we decorated so the house would look a bit more festive before Daddy came home. I made sure to get some of those window stickers and the kids had a blast putting those up on the windows! Emily couldn't stop talking about how she wanted to surprise Daddy. And he was definitely surprised. We didn't go completely crazy and cover everything, but it does look way more festive and helps us feel like it really is fall, even though it's still 90 degrees with 70% humidity outside. :)

(By the way, the Dr. changed my due date from the 16th to the 14th of April. Two less days to be pregnant!!!)

4 comments:

Andrea said...

It's so much more fun when the kids are into it. My kids love decorating and getting into the holdiays. I love Hobby Lobby and the other store sounds fun too. I am glad you found some good deals. At least it will feel like fall inside the house. I am wishing we weren't feeling quite so fally. Its been like 15 degrees cooler than the normal for the past 2 weeks. It should be 70 and its been like 55 to cold to fast for this warm blooded girl. Enjoy your decor :)

Sarah said...

I can't believe you are now due a day BEFORE me- so not fair!!! The decorations sound fun and I'm impressed that Bill came up with the idea on his own. My kids still could care less about decorations, so I just put out the boring ones that I think look good. One of these years when they start caring I will pull out all of the orange and black stuff and hang it all over the house!

Nat Lud said...

Yay! I love Halloween! It's awesome. Glad you got to decorate. It's always fun to 'feel' the holidays in your own home. But I have to agree with Andrea--it's way too cold here way too fast. It even lightly snowed here today. Yuck. I just hope it warms up a bit for Halloween or my kids will be wearing 15 layers!

Annie Leavitt said...

too funny. i finally gave in the last few years and have been getting halloween decorations for my birthday. (always like 75% off by then!) love it. that's great the kids like it, lucy is digging ours too. happy fall (90 degrees that is!)