Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Firefighters, Gustav and Doctor Visits

I took Jacob and Matthew to a Fire Station today for a tour. I figured Jacob would really enjoy it since he just got a fire truck for his birthday and told Billy he wanted to be a firefighter. (See Firefighter vs. Doctor post below if you missed it.) Well, Jacob was grumpy from staying up late last night with his sister playing in their bedroom, so instead of enjoying it, he was whiny the entire time, and wanted absolutely nothing to do with the guy dressed up as a firefighter! :) I finally said, "Jacob, don't you want to be a firefighter anymore?" "No!" he said. "Do you want to be a doctor?" "No!" he repeated. "What do you want to be?" "Nothing!" was his answer. I just chuckled.

Afterward we went to Home Depot to meet up with Billy. He was getting stuff for various fix-it projects we have at home. I found him talking to a guy about the best way to secure plywood over our windows in case a hurricane named Gustav (or any other one) happens to come our way. They were looking at a bunch of different options, when finally the guy said, "I'm a contractor, and if something that big is coming our way, I'm not going to board up my windows. I'm just gonna get out of Dodge." He proceeded to tell Billy that if something big comes, these newer houses won't be able to withstand it, so there's no point in boarding up the windows. :) He should know, 'cause he's a contractor. Doesn't make me feel too great about the house though. Guess that's why we pay for windstorm insurance down here. :)

Then we headed to the pediatrician for check-ups. Jacob is getting taller and slowing thinning out, which is good. Matthew is chunking up and is too long for his infant seat! I did not want to have to move him out already, (even though it's heavy, I like that I can take it in and out and carry him around that way) but the dr said we should, so we will. How am I going to go shopping with him? He's WAY too heavy for a front baby carrier and can't sit yet. . . Hmmm . . .

3 comments:

lyn said...

Thomas gets grumpy like that! Always with too little sleep.

No! I don't want to hear that Matthew is out of his seat! We bought the car seat that is supposed to fit infants until they are 27 lbs - but I didn't even think about length...

Sarah said...

I really should switch Max out of his infant carrier, but I have the same problem as to what to do with them in a store- Especially because they are too heavy to hold!

I'm glad that Emily's first day of school went well and that she is enjoying Kindergarten. It really does seem like just yesterday we were talking at the dental school Christmas party about how you were due just a few months before me and how we were excited to quit teaching once we had our babies! I can't believe that they are now 5! Time goes by way too fast.

Annie Leavitt said...

so has matthew passed up abby's perpetual 19lbs 9oz? : ) that sucks about the carseat thing, what will you do? i guess you'll have to put him in the backpack you used in boston with emily!