Tuesday, August 26, 2008

First Day of Kindergarten


Emily started Kindergarten on Monday. What an exciting day! She was practically bouncing Sunday night as we laid out her school clothes and got her lunch ready to go. Monday morning she jumped out of bed and was awake so quickly (which was a shocker since she's usually a grump-a-lump first thing in the morning).

Billy stayed home with Jacob and Matthew while I took her to school. I was trying to go over a couple things with Emily about being at school as we walked from the car. (stranger stuff, etc...) She finally told me, "I already know the school rules Mommy." OK. :)

She was a little quiet when we got to her room. We had gone to meet her teacher last Thursday, so it wasn't our first time there, but it was still very new. We found her cubby and I helped her find a place to sit. She picked up a book and started flipping pages. I knew that was my cue. She was fine and I wasn't about to mess that up, so I gave her a quick hug and kiss and got out of there before I got too teary. My sweet little helper is off to big kid school. (I just wish it was shorter: 7:50-3:00 is WAY too long for Kindergarten in my humble opinion.)

After school Emily was hungry but happy. :) (She had taken a lunch, but hadn't eaten it all.) She said her teacher was VERY nice and told us about books they had read and things they had done. She was excited to go again this morning, so I think we've made it!

4 comments:

me said...

So glad things went well her first day and that she was excited to do it again today.

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy that things went good, I loved the part where YOU almost got teary-that's the part of being a mom, I guess......
:)

Sara said...

Hannah woke up at 4:30 am on her first day of kindergarten - THAT'S how excited she was for school. I was in tears when I left her, but she was happy as could be. Which I guess is a good thing right? She still loves school. I have to agree though - I would love it if kindergarten could be a half day here. 7 hours seems way too long for a 5 year old.

Andrea said...

Such a cute little kindergartener, hope she has a great year. She looks so grown up!