Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Do you have any cheese, please?


I have had a very love/hate relationship with Walmart. A few months after moving here I had a very bad encounter with customer service at a Walmart over a gallon of sour milk. Those of you that know me pretty well also know I try to avoid conflict as much as possible, so to have a bad encounter with customer service is very rare for me. (I worked in customer service at a grocery store in high school and college, so I have lots of experience and know what it is like. I usually feel for these people that get the brunt of customer complaints.)

Anyway, after being treated horribly not once, but twice by these people, I just kind of stopped going there. I really learned how to use coupons and get better deals at nicer stores (Because we all know Walmart is pretty dumpy for the most part anyway.) where I am not treated as a second-class citizen out to get them.

But sometimes I have needed to go to Walmart, and I was glad there was a Walmart, because they sold something no one else did.

For the past two years, we've had to go to Walmart for Kraft Roka Blue cheese spread. It comes in a little jar like the Old English and Pimento cheese you often see. We use it to make the famous Curtis Cheeseball every Thanksgiving. It is so good!

This morning I packed up my kids and we headed to Walmart to get some roka blue cheese. We got there early in the day because I didn't want to deal with crazy crowds. I found the right section, grabbed a couple Old English cheese jars and then looked for the roka blue. And looked. And looked. And looked. It wasn't there.

I tried another Walmart about 30 minutes away, and they didn't have it anymore either! I'm not sure why though, the guy trying to help me could barely speak English. (Don't get me wrong, I'm glad he has a job here, but it's hard to get the help you need when they can't understand what you're saying!)

So, after trips to four stores (two Walmarts and two grocery stores I hadn't tried in a while), we came home empty-handed.

I guess I have one less reason to go to Walmart. (And no cheeseball.)

9 comments:

Glen & Kat said...

That's so annoying! I have that same issue with Wal-mart...the only cheap dairy free chocolate chips are the Sam's Choice ones and suddenly I can't find them at any Wal-mart around. And today I was there looking for the Wal-mart brand graham crackers (dairy-free) and they were nowhere to be found--that happens a lot to me, when I go they're out of something. How frustrating!

Danna Banana said...

Oh My Gosh!! We have to figure out a substitute!!
Maybe you can buy it online??

Melanie said...

I can, but it won't get here by tomorrow. I did find two websites that carry it though. I just need to order it ahead of time, and I didn't know I needed to this year! :)

I also found this one web page where a gal said to just mix equal parts of cream cheese and blue cheese to get something similar. I'm interested to try it just to see if it would really taste close to the same or not.

If I try it I'll let you know!

Unknown said...

All I wanted was some cheese!

Shelly said...

It's a far cry from Wal-mart, but have you tried Central Market? They usually have the stuff that everyone else has stopped carrying. Call first....They're in Houston and are usually great about helping you over the phone......

me said...

Way to lose custmers WalMart. I've never really been a very big WalMart fan. Like you said they are cheap which can be nice and times, but then again, they are Cheap, meaning dumpy. Sorry about the cheese ball

Melanie said...

I found it!! After Central Market told me they didn't sell anything by Kraft (too fancy shmancy for Kraft cheese I guess), my neighbor Sheryl suggested Rice Epicurean on Holcombe! Yay!! The cheeseball is mixing as we speak (I mean type)!

Annie Leavitt said...

hooray for roka blue! i don't even think we are making cheese ball this year. oh well, dairy and me don't mix!

Danna Banana said...

I just looked at our local Stater Brothers and they don't have it. Honestly, I didn't think about having the cheeseball this year.
We are trying to eat healthier. Although I am making mashed potatoes with heavy cream. Yummers.

Glad you found your stash. Better stock up for the next hurricane!