Friday, February 20, 2009

Games

Our family loves to play games. We have lots of one player games, family games, and adult games. (That sounds really bad, but it just means for grown-ups! Nothing R-rated here!)

Here are some of our favorites:


Rush Hour Jr. - There's an adult version too, which we both really enjoy whenever we go to Billy's parents' house. In this version, you have to slide the cars back and forth so that the ice cream truck can get through all the traffic. Really cute! This game is great for Emily (it's a one-person game) and Jacob will be able to do it in another year or so too. The teacher in me loves it because it's a puzzle, so it makes them think! (This is one of many ThinkFun brand games that we really enjoy. These games all make you think, but they're so fun! Chocolate Fix and Zingo are two others made by these guys which we LOVE! Chocolate Fix is for ages 8 and up, but they have a kid version called Clever Castle which I want to get for Emily . . . and eventually Jacob and Matthew.)


Clue Jr. - Yet another child version of an adult game, but we really enjoy playing it. We don't quite follow all the rules (for instance, we share the clues we find as opposed to keeping them to ourselves), but as the kids get a little older I'm sure we'll change that. It's a game where the kids have to think and figure out who ate the cake with what drink at what time. Totally worth the money in my book!

Sequence for Kids - And another child version of an adult game! (Are you sensing a trend?!) This one was the most popular game in our house month after month after month for so long! Using your animal cards you have to get a row of chips on the board to win. There's a bit of strategy. (I'm a sucker for anything that gets my kids' wheels turning.) It is so fun watching them figure out strategy and how to play!

Hullabaloo - Cranium brand games are so cool!! This one is all about following directions and moving around. It definitely helps get wiggles out!


Tell-A-Story - Each person has to find their five character cards, and then put them in an order for a story. It's fun to see how you can rearrange the cards to get different twists on a story.


Elefantos - This is a German game, but really neat. Each person has some animals and they have to describe the animal in different ways so the other people can guess what animal they are talking about. I remember being so surprised by some of the ways Emily was describing her animals. I couldn't believe she knew the things she did, and Jacob was picking up on what she knew quickly and using those same facts/descriptions the more we played.


Don't Wake Hulk - Currently one of the most popular in the house, Jacob got it for Christmas and loves it. No puzzling, no real strategy, just fun! (I'm afraid the above list will make you think I'm always pressuring my kids. Really, I'm not!) You should have seen Jacob the first time he played this. He would jump and laugh hysterically/nervously every time the Hulk "woke up" because it's so sudden and random. He's more used to it now! :)


Candy Land - Seriously, the classic game is still a hit!


Puerto Rico - Our friends introduced us to this game during the power outage after Hurricane Ike and we really like it. It's an adult game, and takes a little figuring out the first time or two you play, but there is so much strategy and thinking and ways the game can be different each time. Really fun!


Ticket to Ride - Once we played Puerto Rico, Billy and I were hooked on board games again and wanted to find a new one for two people. We found this and it's pretty fun. We've played it just the two of us a few times, but now we're ready to try it with another couple to see how more people can change it!


And even though this will make it an uneven #11, I have to include the card game "Nertz" or "Nerts" depending on who you talk to. (I don't know. When I googled them both, they both seemed to talk about the same card game, so go figure.) It's a game Billy's family played growing up, but I was never introduced to it until we played it with a couple here in TX. Now, Nerts has made a come back! You should have seen us over Christmas, "Just one more game and then I HAVE to get the kids up!" or "OK, just one more and then I HAVE to go to bed!" or "OK, just one more game and then I HAVE to . . . " You get the idea. :)

7 comments:

Queen of the Castle said...

Puerto Rico is the second highest rated board game on boardgamegeek.com. I think most "good" games are if not German, then European in origin. Ticket to ride has a bunch of versions. Eurorails is better IMO because you can have more variations. You draw your railway in with a crayon on a grid.
We really like Set and Auqaretto and Zooloretto. The kids do pretty well playing them.
Check out boardgamegeek.com it is a pretty cool site.

me said...

I love games, but not to sound pathetic and pity partyish, no one will play with me. Aaron doesn't like games.
I will have to check out these games and the website from your previous comment. I will have to buy some 1 player games I guess.
I've been thinking of getting Jared some games. He is still little, but I know there has to be some kind of games out there for him.

Jordee said...

Oh we love Ticket to Ride. We play it all the time. Sequence is also a staple in our house.

Mike and Mindy Williams said...

We love Clue too...try looking up 221B Bakerstreet. It's a british clue game, but more grown up, with actual clues that make you think and plan. It's great!~

Loni said...

I didn't know you guys like ticket to ride! How did I not know this? Shane and I are big fans. We've got to get together and play some time. I've got a little expansion set that has bigger cards, an extra 'reward' card, more destination cards and some alternate ways to play.

Have you ever played Wizard? Imagine if? Liar's Dice?

We need to get together and do Guitar Hero sometime too. Shane and I have just played his brother's and really enjoy it.

Yeah for games!

Sarah said...

We love games as well! Sequence for kids is one of our favorites. Jon's family also grew up playing Nertz and I was introduced to it when we got married. I stink, but I love playing it! Where do you find all of these games? I've never seen most of them at Target. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Andrea said...

I loved reading the review of all the games, great ideas. I love Ticket to Ride, the European version is fun too. I am going to look into getting some of the others.