So, I was driving this morning, listening the the radio. A listener called in and starting talking about how she receives unemployment checks. She was calling because she was surprised to learn that she'd be receiving $25 more a week in her unemployment check, yet US citizens who are actually working will only be getting $13 more a week. She didn't think that sounded right. How can giving more money to unemployed people, encourage them to get a job?
Anyway, as she is talking about this, the talk show's host asked her how much she got for her unemployment each week. She told him the amount and I was shocked.
Flabbergasted.
Incredulous.
I couldn't have heard those numbers right.
Wait. The talk show host repeated them and she agreed.
Ummm... (me doing some quick math in my head)
She's getting as much as I got my first year teaching?! What?!
Now, I know unemployment compensation is based on what your salary/pay was before you lost your job. I also know it is only for what, 5-6 months or so? But still. That just doesn't sound right in my book. It made me think of all the hardworking Americans who get up and go to work every single day, and they don't bring home as much as this gal is collecting. Now, I will also agree, that a teacher's salary is not known to be the greatest amount of money a person can earn, but it's still better than other jobs.
Ugh!
While I'm at it, I might as well mention that I don't like the fact we are (or will shortly) be sending money to The Gaza Strip, which is controlled by Hamas. (OK, Palestinians, who voted in Hamas leaders.)
I also don't like the fact that we are now funding abortions around the world.
I also don't like the fact that everyone wants everything to be paid for by the government.
And I also don't like the fact that thanks to the outrageously expensive and full of crap "Stimulus Plan," there is now a post for a "National Health Czar." Hello universal, socialized medicine! We are coming over to stay.
8 comments:
DITO, thanks to allt he great, wonderful, new changes this world has to offer :) yea right!
I feel ya sista!
Yup, we're going to you-know-where in a hand basket!
i never knew hope and change were going to cost us so much! hahaha.
but yeah, ty says in construction guys come and work just a week so they can collect unemployment for 6 months. then repeat. so wrong.
Welcome to "change", right?!?!? No one said it would be a change for the better should be his next campaign slogan.
and maybe the same people he got to vote for him this time will still vote for him!!!
I guess I should clarify and say that I think the idea of unemployment is a good one - to help someone who was laid off/fired for a couple months while they find a new job and get back on their feet. Unfortunately, like always, there are so many that seem to be abusing the system . . . Even this lady on the radio, although she qualified, didn't seem like she really "needed" it, the way she was talking about it. Why take it if you don't really need it?! It's just making the burden on the everyone else bigger when it doesn't have to be that way.
Rather frustrating.
You are so right, and now that we are paying A LOT of taxes it is incredibly frustrating to watch your money being spent on total garbage. I am all for helping people who really need it, but I am with you people always abuse the system. Too bad!
I couldn't agree more Melanie!
Post a Comment