Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Back In the Saddle Again

Billy and I were singing this song Tuesday morning as he headed off to the hospital. He is no longer Bill the medical student, but is back to Dr. Curtis the resident again! Goodbye Med School! The short white coat will never be needed (he thought about burning it with his fellow residents) and he is finally getting back to learning what he really wants to learn. He's now doing anesthesia until the end of the year. I wish I could explain how excited and happy he is to be learning something he will most definitely be using daily when he's done. (Some of those rotations he did this past year - like OB/GYN - were just painful for him.)

He's told me many times how grateful he is for the medical training he has received. He has learned so much and we've already benefited from it in our own family, but after doing so much oral surgery his intern year, he's missed it, and this is the first big step back to doing oral surgery. He keeps asking me if I'll let him put me to sleep sometime. :) (For a procedure of course, not just for fun.)

You're getting there Dr. Curtis!! (Can I tell you how weird it is to consider my husband in this way when I see such a different side of him at home?! I should really shadow him at the hospital someday. I'll just need to look away now and then for my poor stomach's sake!)

7 comments:

Sam and Bria said...

Yeah!! Doesn't time just fly past. Anesthesia is a great rotation. Sam always seemed to be home more and definetally less stressed out.

me said...

You might want to take him up on that "putting you to sleep" stuff one day when the kids are extra extra whiney and fussy! It would give you some time to yourself! :)

Congrats BILLY!

Cherise said...

Congratulations! I have a hard time thinking of Craig as Dr. Coleby too... his attendings think it's funny that I won't always take his word on pediatric problems, and still have to call our pediatrician - now that he's finished 5 years of residency I try harder to listen to him!

Annie Leavitt said...

wow! this is awesome news. you guys have come so far.

it would be neat to be a fly on the wall and watch him at work.

love you guys.

Shelly said...

Fabulous!!! I am so happy for you! I know you hated some of those rotations. Glad you're back doing what you like!!!

Danna Banana said...

Congrats on another milestone! Before you know it...it will be time to leave.

Sarah said...

That is so exciting! You are on your way to being done with school once and for all!!!