Sunday night was French Night in our house.
Thanks to some help from Julia Child, Billy and I are starting to Master the Art of French Cooking.
(Yes, I was intrigued once I saw the movie Julie and Julia. The food in that movie looked so good. I know. I know. I'm such a follower.)
After nap time we got down to business and together we destroyed the kitchen and made the following:

Supremes de Volaille a la Milanaise (Chicken Breasts rolled in Parmesan and Fresh Bread Crumbs) and Beurre Noisette (Brown Butter Sauce) with a fresh green salad. For dessert, Biscuit au Beurre (Butter Spongecake) with freshly sliced strawberries.
It was delish.
The kids, who get more dubious about new food the older they get (Emily and Jacob that is - Matthew still eats anything placed in front of him) were nervous, but soon devoured their meal and loved dessert.
The recipes were pretty straightforward. We decided it took us a while because we were doing new things: making fresh bread crumbs, making clarified butter, mixing flours, etc... Also, I had to carefully fold the egg whites into the cake batter, as this cake recipe had no baking powder. That was tricky. I'm sure I need more practice. The cake tasted good, but it wasn't super spongy in it's texture. (It was like cake.)
Our first French Night was a yummy success.
Bon appetit!
6 comments:
hey at least it was like cake! ours was tasty but had the constistency of a brick.
i knew you would conquer your recipes and am SO HAPPY you put pictures up so that when i try it i can know if i did it right or not : )
I guess I'm a follower too... Craig gave me all three books for Christmas. I've been reading lately, and will start cooking after I get some results from my other New Years resolutions (diet and exercise). Looks great though!
Looks absolutely delicious...You've inspired me to be a bit more adventurous again. ;)
BRAVO!!!
I was wrong about the pronunciation. Volaille is pronounced: vo-lay.
I was thinking Marsailles.
Soo-premm day voh-lay ah lah Mee-lah-nahyz.
Sounds AND looks fantastic!
Crock Pot Roast beef came out SUPER!!
Wow - that does look yummy!!!
Post a Comment